Recreation Program Director
National Volunteer Week in the USA (usually the third week in April, unless the spring religious holidays coincide) has been celebrated annually since the 1970s and sponsored by the Points of Light Institute (an international nonprofit, nonpartisan organization headquartered in the USA).
However, due to the 2019-2020 coronavirus (COVID-19, Wuhan China virus) pandemic outbreak, HealthCare of Iowa (Mill Valley Care Center, Sunrise Villa Assisted Living) have enacted precautionary measures to help prevent the spread of the disease to our buildings (residents, tenants, staff). The following activities have been cancelled effective Wednesday, March 11th to Friday, May 1st. (These dates may change as more information becomes available.)
- Cancelling activities that include someone leaving the facility.
- Bus trips.
- Grocery runs.
- Cancelling activities that include someone coming into the building.
- Music entertainment/therapist.
- Pet therapy.
- Artwork classes, travelogue presentations.
- Not having volunteers come for group or 1-on-1 activities.
- Cancelling the Community/Family/Staff Easter Egg Hunt.
- Cancelling the Volunteer Appreciation Dinner (to be rescheduled to a later date).
- Suspending all unnecessary visits. Visitors are not allowed into the facility for the time being, as per the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDH).
While this month is National Volunteer Month, we are also in the process of going through the list of names to help make sure that all of our volunteers get an invitation to the Volunteer Recognition/Appreciation Dinner that will be rescheduled after things hopefully return to normal.
Well, so long for now.
Happy Easter to you and yours. Have a safe and healthy month of April.
And, enjoy ... SPRING !!!