Chad Myers, Chef
Well here we are rolling into June. It has been an interesting Spring to say the least. We have gone through a cycle of the menus, and I hope that they are satisfactory. I have a few revisions that I need to make, which I will do, but I promise that we will keep trying to give you the best meals possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me.
The weather has been getting nice, and maybe you have been foraging some ingredients like morels and watercress. I would like to share an idea for a flatbread that might be a little different than usual.
Mushroom and Asparagus Flatbread
Get some Flatbreads or Pita Bread. Make a Mushroom Duxelle Cream cheese, and spread on the flatbread. (recipe to follow). Sprinkle on some chopped fresh asparagus and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake in a 450°F oven for about 7-8 minutes till cheese is melted and flatbread is crispy. Cut the flatbread and top the pieces with some watercress, a drizzle of olive oil, and some fresh grated lemon zest.
Chef’s Note: If you don’t have any watercress, arugula is a good substitute.
It still has that peppery bite that watercress has.
Mushroom Duxelle Cream Cheese
- ½ lb chopped shitake mushrooms
- ¼ lb chopped morel mushrooms
- ½ lb chopped portabella mushrooms
- ¼ cup minced shallot or red onion
- 2 each garlic clove minced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary chopped
- ¼ cup truffle oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Use oil to sauté mushrooms, garlic and shallot without burning the garlic.
Add chopped herbs.
- Cream 2 # cream cheese and 1 cup parmesan with paddle attachment.
- Chop mushroom mix in food processor until minced. Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as, a bit of truffle oil if needed.
- Add mixture to cream cheese.