Ealana’s Recipe Pic of the Month
This smooth, rich, decadent chocolate pie, topped with a fluffy meringue, is just the way Mom used to make it! Perfect surprise for your Valentine! Enjoy!
Grandma’s Chocolate Meringue Pie
This pie features a homemade chocolate custard that is topped with meringue.
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- Mix together sugar, cocoa, corn starch and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually mix in milk. Cook and stir over medium high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to medium low; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove pan from heat. Stir about one cup of the hot filling into the egg yolks; mix back into the custard. Return saucepan to heat, and bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in vanilla. Pour hot filing into crust.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, and continue to beat until stiff and glossy. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing meringue to crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden.